Shopify General Store VS Niche:
Hello guys in this article I’m going to be answering the simple yet long-debated question in the community which is better to open Shopify general store vs niche? I understand why there is a lot of confusion on this question because there are a lot of different opinions on the subject for example one of our guest contributors on this blog says that the answer on Shopify general store vs niche which is the best is; “it’s recommended to start with a general store but in my opinion beginners should start out with niche stores” and it’s not just me as well, other drop shippers recommended in the past that beginners start out with niche stores, and it’s pretty easy to see why since this has been a very profitable strategy forth as well, so how can any successful people and drop shippers all have different opinions on what should seemingly be a basic question, well I’m going to give a quick spoiler, the reason for that is because they’re neither method is better than the other, the truth is both methods have pros and cons, so let’s jump straight into this article is that you can see which method is right for you!
1#Shopify General stores with examples:
– Shopify General stores make the most money.
– Shopify General stores are less work to run in the long-term.
What is the general store?
Shopify general stores can easily make the most money, why? Because of the most obvious reason being, that you’ve got more potential customers for your store. A good example of a potential general store that you could make is one about pets, instead of building a site around a specific type of pet like a dog or a cat or even…
…a store that’s more specific in niches like focusing on a specific type of breed of dogs such as a poodle or Labrador. You decide to make your store about more general topic pets, when I suddenly got access to a whole bunch of customers you can now sell to people that have dogs, you can sell to people that have cats, you can sell to people that have birds, you can sell to people that have fishes because you have accessed here too so many more customers, you obviously can make more money from the single store but there is another reason why Shopify general stores leaders?
That’s because you’ve got access to a whole lot more products and this is more important than you might think because the thing with paid ads like Facebook ads is that over time the team to become saturated and when this happens the ad will start to fall off, perhaps for months you ad has been super hot, the product has been something like crazy and you’ll be making a $1000 a day from a single item, but eventually the ad audience becomes saturated the ad calls off, the engagement cools off and so do the sales low. This doesn’t mean that the ad dead forever, really good practice is to shelve the ad for a few months and then to restart the game with the fresh audience, but what it does mean is that you have now lost your winning item, you’ve gone from making a $1000 a day to making $0 a day.
There actually an easy way to avoid going from a $1000 a day to $0 a day and that is to not be lazy and to keep testing products, the successful 6 figures drop shippers do this, when they find a $1000 a day winning product they don’t just set back and stop there, they keep testing more products and they keep finding more winning items and they don’t just do this, so that they can keep earning more money, they do this so that they have other winning items when one becomes saturated.
What is a niche store?
This can be a challenge with opening a niche store, if you pick niche that is too niche then you can run out product to test, you’ve already tested them all, so even if you have a very high converting ad for Labrador retriever trinkets If the ad audience for it becomes saturated and you need to call it off you’re potentially going to be in a bit of a tough spot, why? Well because if you go to AliExpress and do a search for similar Labrador retriever trinkets since it is such a specific niche you could very well discover that there just aren’t many other high selling Labrador retriever trinkets for you to be
testing and thus your store grinds to a halt. Now yes there is a solution for people that choose to go with the niche store strategy for this problem and that is to open multiple niche stores, so once you’ve got a successful store that targets one niche you could then go and create another store that targets a different nation, but the truth is building up a new niche from scratch rather than just adding in new products to an existing store to test, is definitely going to be more work. All means with a general store you can make more money in the long term with just a single store because of the fact that you have access to far more customers and long term it’s going to require less work to be testing and finding new winning items so at this point, you’re probably thinking well Michael why are you recommending Shopify general store vs Niche! to start with niche stores? Well here are the reasons:
- Niche store make beginners money faster.
- They are easier for beginners to convert sales and that’s the thing about niche stores, they are much easier for beginners to initially make money in sales from and this is for two reasons:
– You can brand your store around the niche: when a customer comes into a store after seeing item that’s related to their favorite pet which is a cat and they see you logo that has a cat on it, well they know that this store is for them and when they see that you’ve named it perfect goodies they either laugh or smile or cringe at the store name, while importantly identifying with it, and of course when they go to your About Us page and see that you are passionately talking about cats they love it, it creates much stronger branding and it gives your site of personality. General stores struggle with branding in the early stages for this reason n and branding does two important things, it builds connection between you and your prospective customer plus it builds trust as well and the more cost feel connected here and the more the customers trust you, the higher your conversion rate will be and other words the easier it will be to make sales.
– It’s much easier to make upsets and cross-sells: when a cat owner comes to a site that’s about pets they’re going to see a lot of items that are not relevant to them at all, they don’t have a fish, they don’t have care about those items, they don’t want to buy dog related items, so when they click onto your home page and see these categories taste they’re not going to be very interested, on the other hand, if they were to click onto your home page and see that the other items and the categories listed on there we’re about cats well they would be far more interested, and it makes it much easier for you to do follow-up marketing with email newsletters and social media because know that whatever the item is that you’re promoting, it’s going to be relevant to all your customers so you will get a much higher conversion not only from people purchasing your initial items but from follow-up campaigns as well, and they will be more likely to pay attention to your follow-up campaigns on the future because they know that the last one sent to them was relevant to the interests, what this all means is that beginners teams who have success in finding winning items faster when they open niche stores and honestly I recommend niche tools because I know for many of you out there that are just beginning, you don’t know if all of us actually works or not and this is okay, right now it sort of seems like a pipe dream that you could have the store where if you spend money on ads that make more money back then you spent that is super cool, but also kind of super strange you are used to having to exchange your time for money you’re used to making money from a job that’s how to make money right. There is a fog fuzziness until you make your first dollar online, it’s a dream that you’re not really sure if its real or not but when you do make your first dollar online everything just clicks, because now you see that it works and your motivation levels skyrocket because now you believe in it, so ultimately it comes down to this, scaling your business from 5 figures to over 6 figures a month, for drop shipping is going to be a lot easier with a general store but calling your business from $0 a month to 5 figures a month is going to be a lot easier in a niche store.
Shopify General Store VS Niche Your Opinion?
Each Shopify general store vs niche has own pros and cons and you need to pick the one that is right for you. Thanks for reading this post if you would like to get more articles about dropshipping tips to be sure to subscribe to Meshrange newsletter and if have your opinion about Shopify general store vs niche please share it with us in the comment section below.